Cpu and VGA fan speed control

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 01:11:33 UTC 2007

If you have and AMD CPU/motherboard you can use AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet
technology to have the CPU automatically increase or decrease its
operation. This can adjust the fan automatically at the same time.
Sorry, I don't know any links for this off hand but if you do a google
search for  "lm-sensors" and/or "powernow" it should get you on your
way.

Why would you want to control your GPU fan? Modern GPUs are quite
powerful and need to be cooled, but are hampered by a smallish surface
area. (So the fan has to be small and run fast to cool it.) If you
slowed it down you would probably damage the GPU. I don't know of any
software way to control a stock nVidia or ATI card's fan (and I don't
think you would want to), but you could buy an aftermarket fan that
can be controlled. I have an aftermarket Zalman GPU fan that does
this. It comes with extra mini heatsinks to put all over the card,
along with a huge fan. That fan has a little remote adjustment
allowing you to decide how fast to set it.

Craig