firewall

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Tue Feb 13 21:53:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 17:04 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> John Dangler wrote:
>
> > wow - just looking through synaptic for firewall products...
>
> Yeah :-(
>
> Choice is good, too much choice is paralyzing.
>
> > arno
http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/

last update Feb 2007 - looks promising
Latest version 1.8.8.h
Latest version in synaptic - 1.8.6.c-2

> > ferm
http://ferm.foo-projects.org/ferm.html

ferm - a firewall rule parser for linux
(looks like a decent way to learn iptables rule writing, but it may not
be an _end-user_ type of product

> > fiaif
http://www.fiaif.net/

"The Goal of FIAIF is to provide a highly customizable script for
setting up an iptables based firewall."

last update Jan 23 2007 - looks promising
Latest version 1.21.1
Latest version in synaptic - 1.20.1-2

"Read through the zone files, and try to understand/modify the
variables.
Make sure that you setup the device information (GLOBAL, DYNAMIC, IP,
DEV, NET, BCAST) correctly."
"...You are now ready to start the firewall. ... you probably want to
set DEBUG=1, and watch the logs for dropped packets."
(uh-oh)... this also looks like a good way to learn iptables rule
writing, although it does have a decent testing feature so that you can
check your syntax, etc.