firewall

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Feb 13 19:16:08 UTC 2007

Ouattara Oumar Aziz wrote:

> John Dangler a écrit :
>> I've been using firestarter for my iptables maintenance, but have heard
>> a lot of chatter about firehol.  Anyone on the list have a preference
>> for one over the other?
>>
>> (I hand-wrote my iptables rulesets for my server, but for the
>> workstation and laptop, I just want to be a _user_)
>>

> I love GuardDog (+ GuideDog if you want to use it on a router)
> http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/

I just gave up on Guarddog - I've used it for years, but I'm getting too
many rules for odd ports (and some that aren't so odd, but aren't in it's
tables), and it generates _really_ complicated iptables rules.

What would really help guarddog, would be a an option to enter a port
number, and have it expand the list in the right place.  For anything
obscure, you have to work with a display of /etc/services open in another
window at the same time :-)
--
derek