Modem Problem

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Tue Feb 13 07:00:08 UTC 2007

larry wrote:
> Staar wrote:
>
>> First off, I'm primarily a windows user so you'll have to bare with my ignorance a little.  I installed Xandros on an old pc for a relative so he could avoid spending obscene amounts of money on windows just to check email.  The dialup connection was always slow and recently began dropping out on him often.  So I decided to try Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (Dapper Drake), but I am having problems configuring the PCI dialup modem.  Using ubuntu, Under Network Settings, when I attempt to activate it, I receive 'Could Not Enable the Interface ppp0'.  When I go to Interface properties and attempt to auto-detect the modem, I receive 'Could not autodetect modem device'.
>>
>> When I looked up the device it indicates the following:
>> HCF 56K Data/Fax/Voice Modem (Worldwide)
>> Vendor:
>> Conexant
>> HCF 56K Data/Fax...
>> OEM Vendor: DIGICOM Systems, Inc.
>>
>> Any idea what the problem is?  I stumbled across a HCF driver downloads page on linuxant.com (http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php?PHPSESSID=9e8a2e93e875447ced96514bfc3b4ed2) that says I need to pay to get 56K support?  Is that true?  That could explain why the connection was so slow on Xandros.  I'm probably going to be trying different distrtos often until I find one that my relative likes and would like to avoid paying for a driver every time I upgrade or go to a different distro.  If I purchased an external modem, would I have to worry about a different driver every time I change distros?
>>
>> Any info would be greatly appreciated...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Mike
>>

> Is your modem a serial port type, or what...???
>
> I have a Data/Fax/Modem Best Data so when I setup my ppp dialup, when it
> ask's me to autodetect, it does the same as yours...So I manually
> install it using ttyS0, and it has worked for years now...
>
> If it is an external serial modem, then go through each ttyS port, you
> can use minicom also to access your modem...Hopefully it isn't a win
> modem, for most all of those do not work in linux...
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> Good luck, Larry

Hi Mike,
if you have a serial modem plugged in should be no problem, if you can't
get it setup and working with pppconfig,
and you stilI have an internal "winmodem" you may have to turn that one
off in the bios, am not sure maybe someone more knowledgeable can
elaborate on that, but have had similar problems on another machine,
using an external serial modem
that worked fine on my machine, but not on the other machine, (same
version of Ubuntu) which had a winmodem inside.
Hope this helps.
Take Care
Winton