Modem Problem

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 13 03:15:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:50:05 -0800
NoOp <glgxg at mfire.com> wrote:

> You'll find numerous forum threads & discussions regarding dialup modems
> & Ubuntu. You'll also find numerous threads right here that tail off
> into no answer.  I've given up on DU modems & tell my clients that
> unless they have DSL Ubuntu is *not* for them.

This is why I made the distinction between software modems and external ,
hardware, serial modems. *Of course* it is hard to get winmodems working
in lInux - the manufacturers rarely give any information which would make
writing drivers for them possible, and by definition they are designed for
Windows.

Some "winmodems" do work, though - I used an Agere LT winmodem for a couple
of years. It had the ltmodem kernel modules, ( http://www.heby.de/ltmodem
 ) . This case is unusual, unfortunately.

If a hardware external modem is used, dialup works just fine with Ubuntu -
I know because I have used one ( Acer) with Warty, Hoary, Breezy and
Dapper :) I now have adsl2+ , which is something of an improvement ;-)

Peter