Network Manager, misbehaves

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Tue Feb 13 02:42:24 UTC 2007

I have two issues with Network Manager that I think are related, but
perhaps not.

Note: Using Ubuntu Edgy

First, I have the Network Monitor applet showing that I have a
connection, as of now, connection strength is at 86%. At the same time
Network Manager (0.6.3) shows connection strength at 52%. (25'
unobstructed line of sight)  I understand this is a known issue with
Atheros chipset cards.  And I saw at one point a fix.  The problem is
that the fix required hacking some element of the NM source and
recompiling.  While I'd be willing to give such a fix a try, the entire
discussion assumed at least some modicum of programing ability.  I'm
willing to learn, but that's not me.  The other issue is that I
understand the fix would then "break" the ability to have Ubuntu
auto-majically update when necessary.  I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Second problem: My wifi connection will periodically drop connection.
This will happen both on my office WIFI or at Home, Both APs are
configured for WPA personal. The router / DHCP server at work is
configured for 1 day lease times, so I doubt that is the issue.  It will
also happen more often when I move to a location, office or home, that
has a lower signal strength.

It has also happened on Open WIFI.  For example (and this was really
frustrating) I was at a hotel at a business conference. There was paid
wifi in the rooms and free in the lobby.  So naturally, I went to the
lobby, where NM could "see" both the "GuestRm" ESSID and the "Lobby"
ESSID.  NM showed about 35% signal strength for the former and <20% for
the latter. (Even though I was sitting in the lobby.)  I could force a
connection to "Lobby", but would promptly (2-3 minutes) be dropped, and
NM would try to access the pay service.  One more data point:  Since I
had work that had to be done, I rebooted into XP, forced the "Lobby"
connection, and windows was able to stay connected.

So, if this signal strength discrepancy issue is the culprit, then I'd
like to fix it.  But, If the signal strength that NM reports has no
effect on NM's functioning, then I suppose I don't care.  Does anyone know?

Also, anyone have any ideas about why NM drops the connection
periodically?  Especially if it is  not about signal strength?

Thanks,

Patton