Problems mounting samba shares

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Feb 12 15:55:16 UTC 2007

Alain Muls wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After the recent update of some packages, I am no longer allowed to execute
> the smbmount command as a user.

Normally, mount allows user mounts with the user command in /etc/fstab.
   See http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html . I added user to my
fstab but I still couldn't mount an smb share.  I get the message:

smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (1000,1000)
smbmnt failed: 1

When I actually try to make smbmnt suid root, I get the message:

"cannot mount on /prism: Operation not permitted"

for the correct smb password, and for the incorrect password:

31300: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

I'd be interested in some illumination of this issue too.

Matthew Flaschen