Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at habitat.org
Mon Feb 12 14:46:02 UTC 2007

I installed apache, php5 and mysql via apt-get

Php commands like echo etc run fine but I get an error when I try to
connect to a mysql database.

Googling I found that mysql and php5 are no longer bundled together.

 In the PHP manual it mentions:
Use the --with-mysql[=DIR] configure option

I am assuming that this is located somewhere in the php.ini file?

Is there anything else I should consider or check out when I go home
tonight to try to get php5 to work with mysql?

Background:
I did install via apt-get:
  libapache2-mod-php5 php5-mysql php5-mysqli

I did not install
Suggested packages:
  php-pear

But I can.