Wireless - Was [Re: DSL]

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Mon Feb 12 07:09:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 01:17 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> John Dangler wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 20:58 -0800, Dennis Castanos wrote:
> >> If the operating system has nothing to do with it, why does it work on XP.
> >> What is running doze.  I rather purchase a new modem than deal with the
> >> providers, although I will try to get them to swith this one out.  Any
> >> recommendation for a DSL Ubuntu Linux router?
> > I'm running a Linksys 4400N.  Cabled systems work fine, but I cannot
> > test wireless, since wireless (for me) under Ubuntu has been a total
> > washout... My laptop (Dell8600/IPW2100) just won't connect, and never
> > has under either Breezy or Dapper.  The reasoning is because I have a
> > static IP on my laptop, which apparently in Linux is a no-no...
>
> Linux definitely support static IPs...  See
> http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialNetworking.html
>
> If wireless isn't working, either your card doesn't have a driver or you
> configured it wrong.
ipw2100 drivers have been supported by Linux for quite some time...
I have no problem getting this to work under DHCP when I'm on the road
(at hotels, airports, etc)

iwconfig =
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      unassociated  ESSID:"mgj_ventures"  Nickname:"ipw2100"
          Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate=0 kb/s   Tx-Power:off
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

sit0      no wireless extensions.
-----------------
wireless config in System ->Networks:
(profile = office_wireless, which is eth0: inactive, eth1: active)

Network Name: (ESSID): mgj_ventures
Key type: Hexadecimal
WEP Key:

Connection Settings:
Configuration: Static IP Address
IP Address: 192.168.2.38
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway address: 192.168.2.1

DSL Modem IP: 192.168.1.1
Router IP: 192.168.1.2
Wireless Router IP: 102.168.2.1

The Router is enabled for Static IP addresses (I have an XP box with a
USB54G adapter that works fine, and is on static)

The only part that I found suspect is that the router is using channel 6
in its config, and iwconfig reports channel 0.  If that's the problem,
how can I tell iwconfig to use the same channel?

If you think that you can help me to get this to work, I would be
extremely grateful...