DSL

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Mon Feb 12 04:40:15 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 20:12 -0800, Dennis Castanos wrote:
> It's a DSL modem.  The tech support doesn't support linux.  When I switch
> providers a tech told me he uses linux and it would run just find, but the
> don't give support for it.  When I told him my problem the only command he
> help me with was
> sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
> When I had my lines checked AT&T says they don't support it either.
> WESTELL - Model 890-220030-0481 which I puchased to avoid signing a
> contract.
The DSL modem has NOTHING to do with what OS you're running.  Don't let
your isp tell you that.  install vmnware-server, install some M$ OS on
it, and call them back and tell them you're running doze...
If you can cable direct to the dsl modem (no router in between), and it
works ok, then it's the router settings.  If it still doesn't work, then
it's probably the dsl modem.  I never turn my DSL modem off, and I've
gone through 3 of them in 6 years with my isp.  I always get them to
send me a new one when one starts acting flaky.