system refresh

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Feb 10 04:07:45 UTC 2007

NoOp wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> John Dangler wrote:
>>> A development environment consisting of Eclipse, Ruby/Rails, Sun Java
>>> JRE (I'll need SE and Beans for school), mySQL, and Apache/Lighttpd
>>> (never could get lighttpd to run a rails app).
>> You don't need Sun Java.  Install java-gcj-compat-dev , which uses GNU
>> Classpath, GNU Compiler for Java, and I think some eclipse code too.
>
> I'm curious... 1) just how does java-gcj-compat-dev replace Sun Java
> JRE,

Using GNU Classpath and GNU Compiler for Java. :)  It should be fully
compatible for most purposes.  I'm in a Java class right now, and
haven't had any significant problems (just be careful to use -1.5 when
calling javac).  Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Classpath
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ for some general info.

2) how secure is java-gcj-compat-dev given the recent security
> issues with Sun Java[1]?
>
> [1]http://secunia.com/search/?search=java

I'd imagine the security is about the same, but I don't know for sure.

Matthew Flaschen