system refresh

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Fri Feb 9 23:14:43 UTC 2007

I'm thinking of refreshing the install of my Ubuntu desktop.  I've
fooled with loading and unloading so many different apps that I've
pretty well trashed my setup, and, although I use this box every day, I
figure with a tarball backup of my home directory (and a tarball of the
entire system), I can get back what I need, which is essentially just
mail (critical), and possibly my keyring and dev files...

I have the Dapper cd, and I know I want the gnome desktop and OO.o (I've
been tempted to go to KDE a few times, but have never taken the plunge,
since I'm used to gnome), but I know that I want to add -

NVIDIA (this is critical to get X to start at all...

vmware-server (for a Win part)

Some graphics pkgs -
Gimp, Blender, Inkscape,  Scribus

Internet Tools - Skype/Wengo (I need to try this out)
gaim, bmon, ethereal, firefox (with dev plugins)

flash-player9, gxine

A development environment consisting of Eclipse, Ruby/Rails, Sun Java
JRE (I'll need SE and Beans for school), mySQL, and Apache/Lighttpd
(never could get lighttpd to run a rails app).

I have a webcam (Logitech Pro 3000) with audio/video, but have never
gotten that to work...

I have a Lexmark 6500 all-in-one printer (but have never gotten that to
work, either).

Other apps - rosegarden (the repo versions are waaay old, so I'd like to
produce the .deb file for this one and put it to the repo folks to
include, although I know it needs a newer version of cmake than what's
in the repo's at this moment.)

Since mail is the critical piece here, can I reinstall Ubuntu on the
system, and just restore my .evo directory?

Also, any suggestions on other apps would be cool.  I've tried a good
number of them, some of which I'll re install later, but for the moment,
I just want to refresh the system install and basic apps that I know
I'll need.