weird update problems

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 04:34:22 UTC 2007

> Gee here's what happened when I tried to upgrade my test server today:
>
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade

<snip>

> So I stopped there.  Nothing hosed.  I'm not sure what anyone would tell me
> other than what apt already did.  Personally, I think if you're paying
> attention to what's going on, it's not that hard to figure out.
>
> For those who don't care to pay attention, Canonical has support contracts...
>
> Scott K

I completely agree.  Nor was my system hosed by using Update Manager.  I
think people simply got confused and I wonder how many systems really got
hosed.  I don't see how it would be possible using Update Manager.

What I don't agree with is some of the other statements made on this subject
by other posters.

If it isn't a security issue - don't call it that.  If it is - do the
update.  Nope I
don't have extra servers laying around like a $65,000 Alpha running VMS or
one for my HP-UX system.  Yes I do for MS testing - but I don't like equating
MS and Linux.  I also don't think my boss will or should buy into "...
yea it was
listed as an "Important security update" that I didn't install ...
sorry I thought I
should test it before installing because I am smarter then the manufacturer ..."
But we all have different situations and I understand that.  By the way, I did
the patches on my laptop not my servers.  I always do it that way -
just in case.
I wish that I didn't feel it was necessary.  Scott is correct - if
it's that important
get a service contract - perhaps I will.

We should all just relax, the good folks at Ubuntu will work it out soon.

-rich