Keyboard Stops Responding

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Feb 7 01:43:33 UTC 2007

Paul Kaplan wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 8:07:37 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> This has happened twice so far.  My keyboard has completely stopped
>> responding, with no warning.  I've been able to recover both times by
>> restarting KDE.  The first time I restarted the whole computer.
>>
>> Just now, I managed to get xev started (not so easy without typing) and
>> even it didn't detect any of my keystrokes.  Yet, this time I only
>> logging out and was able to log in (by typing) right away.
>>
>> Can anyone speculate what might cause this?  It doesn't seem hardware
>> related, but more likely low-level software.  I am using a Dell Inspiron
>> E1505 with the built-in keyboard on Kubunty Edgy.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>
> I had this happen a few times and I'm pretty sure it was caused by using an
> outdate ~/.kde directory, especially when going from 3.5.4 to 3.5.5.  The
> problem was solved when I renamed the directory and let kde rebuild it at
> login.  I then copied only my bookmarks.xml file and mail folders to the
> newly created ~/.kde directory and the problem didn't recur.

I'll try this, though it may prove an annoyance as I've made various
small changes (though I don't use Konqueror or KMail.

  I haven't had
> it happen since upgrading from 3.5.5 to 3.5.6 on edgy.

Did you upgrade manually?  It seems Kubuntu Edgy KDE is still at 3.5.5.

By the way, it just happened again (before I read your email) and I
noticed they first key that didn't respond was Backspace.  I highlighted
a block of text with Shift-Down Shift-Right, then hit Backspace.  I'm
pretty sure I was still holding Shift.  It didn't erase the text and no
further keys responded until I logged off.

Matthew Flaschen