ubuntu for a neophyte?

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Wed Feb 7 01:34:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 19:33 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> > My mother.  She greatly prefers Ubuntu over Windows because the Ubuntu
> > desktop background shows a picture of her granddaughter. (My 1 year
> > old. :) Windows on the other hand shows a totally brain-dead grassy
> > knoll.
> >
> > Also she prefers OpenOffice over MS Office because OpenOffice is in her
> > own language. (For some reason her MS Office install is plain US
> > English)
>
> Sounds like a fair comparison...;)

Yeah, and you know what: LOADS of people make comparisons because of
totally irrelevant or incorrect reasons. :-) Even some software vendors
that shall remain unnamed in this post actively spread crap marketing
blurb that's actually pretty irrelevant when it comes to operating
system..

"Oh sorry mum, videos of your granddaughter only play on Ubuntu, no clue
why they don't work on Windows.  If you ever get the urge you could
google for 'codecs' but honestly it's pretty messy getting the right
ones."  ....   (

Cheers,
Chanchao