Trouble compiling custom kernel with nvidia kernel module

Jonathan Nelson ciasaboark at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 17:11:34 UTC 2007

Hi guys, I'm having a bit of trouble compiling a kernel the 'debian way.'  I'm
trying to get the latest official kernel built to see if a bug related to USB
disk writes has been fixed, but I'm running into the error below.  In a
nutshell make is complaining that the kernel to be compiled has support for
RIVA, which conflicts with the nvidia-kernel module, but as you can see
the .config file expressly has RIVA support disabled.

I'm a bit new to doing things with make-kpkg, so I might be overlooking
something obvious.  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly
appreciate it.

BTW, I was following instructions from
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToVanillaKernelWithRealtimePreemption
although I did not apply the preemption patch.

<snip about 4hrs make-kpkg output>
#nothing here anymore
touch configure-stamp
if [ -f /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/debian/control.template ]; then \

cp  /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/debian/control.template /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/debian/control;
\
        fi
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
PATCHLEVEL = 6
Kernel compiler version : 4.1.1
Detected compiler version : 4.1.1
Using compiler gcc-4.1 version 4.1.1
touch /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/gcc-check
touch /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/cc-sanity-check
## Main Make ##
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
CC="gcc-4.1"  /usr/bin/make -C /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv -f Makefile
SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux   KBUILD_PARAMS="-C /usr/src/linux
SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv" module;
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv'
Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support!

The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver, please
reconfigure your kernel and *disable* rivafb support, then
try installing the NVIDIA kernel module again.

*** Failed rivafb sanity check. Bailing out! ***

make[3]: *** [rivafb-sanity-check] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv'
make[2]: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel'
make[1]: *** [kdist_image] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel'
Module /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel failed.
Hit return to Continue

root at raven:/usr/src/linux# cat .config|grep NVIDIA
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=m
# CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA is not set
root at raven:/usr/src/linux# cat .config|grep RIVA
CONFIG_IPV6_PRIVACY=y
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
root at raven:/usr/src/linux#
--
Q:	What's a WASP's idea of open-mindedness?
A:	Dating a Canadian.

Jonathan Nelson [icq=56665957] [aim=ciasaboark]