difficulty accessing and finding files in edgy

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 09:43:07 UTC 2007

On 06/02/07, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I am having a bit of a problem accessing or finding files in Edgy and
> don't know why some file names show up in Gnome yet some only seem to
> show up in terminal and trying to copy files from terminal refuses to
> work when I need to copy them to my USB stick.
> For example I am having difficulty in setting up Espeak and someone
> asked me if I can copy these config files to him for sorting them out in
> case uncommenting or commenting out lines hasn't worked for example one
> file he needs is speechd.conf which is found under something like
> /etc/speech-dispacher and there was something like one which was
> something to do with espeak.con.
> I tried to look on the desktop for my files knowing the files I wanted
> to find but they are not showing up and using the search for files seems
> to give me no results which is a pain because when I entered the
> terminal, went to my home directory and did ls, sure enough was the etc
> directory which I changed to, I then entered speech-dispacher directory
> and there was at least one of the files I was asked to send.
> However I can't seem to be able to copy these important config files to
> my USB Stick from the terminal for some reason.
> Why am I having this trouble?
> I have tried going into properties and looking at permisions tab to find
> out whether these files are restricted despite me being the only user
> and not a thing could I find which was blocking access to these files
> from the Gnome access which I know does allow me to copy files to my USB
> stick.

Firstly, please a few full stops here and there - I had to read your
question 3 or 4 times to work out what the issue was!

Secondly, are ARE using a leading slash at the start of pathnames aren't
you? If you look at the directory structure and layout, you'll see that the
etc directory hangs directly off the root of the filesystem and thus it is
referenced as "/etc". Your home directory is further down the filesystem and
so unless you tell your find command to start at "/" it will never find
"/etc" and the files therein.

Excuse me if you know all of this, but there is no reason why you can't copy
these files out of /etc to your removable media, providing you're specifying
the path to the files correctly.

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...