Controlling servers (e.g. apache, samba)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Feb 6 02:15:08 UTC 2007

Eric Dunbar wrote:

> On 05/02/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>>
>> 1 for Windows, 1 for Linux root, 1 for swap, remainder for LVM.
>
> 0 for Windows.

Well, that's just my system.  The important part is the LVM - in fact the
volume group can span drives & partitions, even.

> However, someone suggested /boot as its own partition. Can this help
> me avoid the MBR/Windows boot loader/GRUB mess that I've created on my
> machine at the moment?

You really _don't_ have a mess.  I used a /boot partition for years, and
finally decided it wasn't worth it.

> Hmm. Time to read up on LVM when I have time -- well, ok, so I
> procrastinated for a few minutes -- I don't think the LVM is a viable
> solution for me. I want to keep the server running in a virtual
> machine (VMware) and I suspect that using LVMs will not work very
> nicely with the virtual machine for sharing purposes (unless I can
> install the LVM software into the VM and have it manage various
> partitions/drives inside the VM).

LVM is no worse than any other partitioning system - I really don't like to
be writing directly to other partitions from the VM.
--
derek