Controlling servers (e.g. apache, samba)

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Mon Feb 5 22:21:43 UTC 2007

Eric Dunbar wrote:

> However, someone suggested /boot as its own partition. Can this help
> me avoid the MBR/Windows boot loader/GRUB mess that I've created on my
> machine at the moment?

It would, so long as you make sure you install GRUB to /boot and not to
the MBR.

> Hmm. Time to read up on LVM when I have time -- well, ok, so I
> procrastinated for a few minutes -- I don't think the LVM is a viable
> solution for me. I want to keep the server running in a virtual
> machine (VMware) and I suspect that using LVMs will not work very
> nicely with the virtual machine for sharing purposes (unless I can
> install the LVM software into the VM and have it manage various
> partitions/drives inside the VM).

I think that you should read a little on LVM. Your virtual machine will
see the drive *exactly* as the host operating system. If you virtual
machine is running inside Linux as the host then it could directly
access the mounts. However, you will never get Windows to read the
logical volumes held inside a volume group.