Sharing files between Ubuntu 6.06 and Windows XP Pro - best disk format to use

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Feb 5 03:16:47 UTC 2007

Eric Dunbar wrote:

> On 04/02/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> Eric Dunbar wrote:
>>

>> > Or, as I discovered this evening, you can map a drive or a partition
>> > to your VM and avoid messing with Samba (need to be running vmware as
>> > root, however).
>>
>> How?  I googled some pages that said you could, but I couldn't figure it
>> out.
>
> Edit the preferences for your VM (assuming you're using Server).

Well, no.  Why would I be using Server when it's so simple to install
Player...

More and more, I think that the idea of "avoiding" Samba is a mistake.
Using Samba, you get to use Linux native filesystems for sharing your data.

> hose my MBR (I think) by telling my Windows XP CD to 'fixmbr' and now
> doing the "GRUB dance" with the live Cd to no avail (e.g.

Bring up Live CD, open terminal:

sudo mount /dev/... /mnt (where /dev/... is your Ubuntu partition)
grub-install /dev/... --root-directory=/mnt/boot (or maybe that should only
have been /mnt - I'm just doing it from memory.  /dev/... in this case is
the drive whose mbr you want to write).

> I figured reinstalling GRUB as per
> the above link would cause GRUB to pick up on the other (lonely)
> WIndows XP and add it to the menu -- no such luck.

No, a fresh Ubuntu install tries to add Windows OSes to the grub menu.lst,
but if it isn't there now, you need to add it manually.
--
derek