Sharing files between Ubuntu 6.06 and Windows XP Pro - best disk format to use

Ouattara Oumar Aziz wattazoum at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 07:25:24 UTC 2007

Felipe Alfaro Solana a écrit :
> On 2/4/07, Ouattara Oumar Aziz <wattazoum at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Felipe Alfaro Solana a écrit :

>>> I guess that you mean "the easiest". FAT is anything but reliable.
>>>
>> Please, tell us why you think FAT isn't reliable.
>
> It's patented, doesn't support transactions/atomic operations, uses an
> antiquated and obsolete method to store metadata with very simple
> redundancy (first FAT copy, second FAT copy), doesn't support
> permissions./ACLs, maximum file size is limited to 4GB, its get
> fragmented easily, tends to destroy the first few blocks of Flash/NAND
> memories since the FAT table is stored at the very beginning of the
> disk, etc.
>
> Other than that, FAT works pretty well for floppy disks, USB keys and
> really small hard disks. For something, I would use a modern
> filesystem.

So none of what you've mentionned above is a problem for the OP who is
looking for a Filesystem that Windows and Linux support well. Neither
you've proven the more possible lost of datas.
The question here was not what's the best Filesystem. Else, that thread
would have become a Troll as even between advanced FS, we can't
determine which is the best.

I do agree with all the feature FAT is lacking but, to me, that's the
best FS for the OP.