ubuntu for a neophyte?

Joris Dobbelsteen Joris at familiedobbelsteen.nl
Sun Feb 4 12:18:07 UTC 2007

[snip]
>Has anyone had any experience installing Ubuntu for people
>without any PC experience, ie, your grandmother? And I mean
>absolutely zippo.

No, I'm a faitful Windows user for desktops. Its much much more widely
known and more people are familiar with it.

However you need to ensure you have time to learn them new things. Even
basic things takes some time. What it starts with is doing every
step-by-step, not recognizing the patterns software usually has.

>I can think of various reasons pro; just wondering what the
>cons are, what potential problems I should try to anticipate.

Here are the cons for Linux for beginners:
They will ask help from other people, where 99% is familiar with Windows
XP, Outlook/Outlook Express and Microsoft Word. Also know where they are
getting there support from. If they take courses, its all about
Microsoft software.

Just consider what they want to do and with who they share information
and knowledge.

See went to others to and attempted to teach them how to do tricks. This
resulted (nearly?) in returning the PC to the shop owner as he neglected
to install Office on it (he responsed: "they won't even notice it.").

Consider this carefully, then pick whatever suits you best...

- Joris