Newsreaders for Ubuntu and Linux

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Feb 4 03:37:13 UTC 2007

Stephen R Laniel wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:34:04AM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Have I missed a paradigm shift and become a dinosaur?
>>
>> RSS feed readers are _not_ news readers!
>
> Heh. English usage changes over time, you know.

Yeah, and I'm very much in favour of it :-)

The part that I object to is the appropriation of a term that's still
_currently_ in use to mean something different.

> Not very
> long ago, 'weblog' was a term for the sort of things that
> Apache dumps out into access.log. When I was at a software
> company in late 2002, I remember a coworker being very
> confused about what a 'weblog' was.

And probably partly because of that confusion practically nobody
uses "weblog" to mean "blog" any more.

> Times change. Language changes.
>
> That said, it'd be good if Akregator supported NNTP.

Yuck!  What on earth is the similarity between an RSS feed and NNTP?  Why
make Akregator do two jobs, when kontact already has both an RSS and an
NNTP reader.
--
derek