having a normal user mount nfs filesystem

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 4 04:02:11 UTC 2007

Peter Garrett wrote:

> > > To allow users to mount nfs try a line like something like this
> > > in /etc/fstab :
> > >
> > > hostname:/home/foo  /mount-point/nfs-foo   nfs
> > > noauto,users,rw,hard,intr 0 0
> > >

> > Will it hang at boot if the server is down so the nfs is
> > unavailable if I add this to fstab? I assume it would be okay since
> > it doesn't actually mount it. Just asking because some of the stuff
> > I read as options could create a system lock if the server was down.
>
> It shouldn't hang - notice  that the "noauto" option is included, so
> the system will not try to mount the nfs share on boot. I use nfs
> between my laptop and desktop with a line almost exactly like this,
> and the laptop or desktop boot quite happily and independently :)

Check the mount man page for the 'timeo' option. I use an fstab entry
similar to this for mounting a local share automatically from my laptop
while on the local net, but preventing said "hangs" while away from
home...

192.168.x.x:/shares /mnt/shares nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

The 'inter' option deals with the share disappearing in the middle of
a read/write operation. There's also a 'soft' option but it appears to
be implicit when using 'timeo'. Your mileage may vary of course.

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.