Sharing files between Ubuntu 6.06 and Windows XP Pro - best disk format to use

Duncan Lithgow dlithgow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 20:28:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 06:02 -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Hi, another question:
>
> I'd like to share files for read-write access between Windows XP and
> Ubuntu 6.06. To be specific, I'd like to share two partitions: 1. a VM
> (virtual machine for VMware); and, 2. files to be served up by apache
> and smbd in that VM.
>
> What is the best disk format to use? FAT, NTFS, ext3?
FAT: Reliable, proven to work. But not the greatest on-disk filesystem.
NTFS: Reportedly stable, supported by some kernels (not sure if Ubuntu
6.06 supports it). Support for read/write from linux is newer and
theoretically therefore less dependable. But I haven't heard much about
it.
EXT3: Will only work if you install a special file browser in windows.

So, go to wikipedia and other places, do some homework and take your
pick - they're all possible.

Most people use FAT32 for this purpose.

Duncan

--