feisty upgrade breaks mdadm on amd64

Jonathan Hudson jh+ubuntu at daria.co.uk
Sat Feb 3 16:10:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:41:09 -0500
Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> bogl_init failed: setting screen size: cannot allocate memory
> screen init failed
> mdadm: no devices listed in conf file were found.
> volume group  not found
> check root- bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
> or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
>
> alert! /dev/mapper/Anarres--64--main-root does not exist.  dropping to a
> shell

Booting from raid1 / lvm has been broken for months in feisty. I can
cajole my feisty raid1/lvm box to boot by:

* Set the root device to /dev/evms/lvm2/vg00/root in place
of /dev/mapper/vol-of-root

* Add break=mount to the boot line

* About 30 seconds in the boot, press ^D to kill the resultant initramfs
shell, as the array devices will have been discovered by then.

This is suboptimal, as my feisty test box is effectively headless and
somewhat keyboard inaccessible.

There is a fine Ubuntu tradition that raid1/lvm booting gets broken
during the development process; however, this is the first time it's
been broken so badly, for so long. Hope it gets fixed soon.

<https://launchpad.net/bugs/75052> and duplicates document this bug.

HTH,

-jonathan