java

Dennis Castanos dennismouille at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 3 02:21:51 UTC 2007

Install Java 1.5 update 10  edgy
reference:   https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/java.html
below are the cammands for update 10

Install java-package though Synaptic Package Manager
Make the downloaded file executable change directory in terminal
chmod +x jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.bin
To install JRE, first build an Ubuntu package. Type
fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.bin
Then install the package you have built:
sudo dpkg -i sun-j2re1.5_1.5.0+update11_i386.deb
To get your system to use Sun Java instead of the open-source (but less
functional) GIJ that is installed by default, run:
sudo update-alternatives --config java
and choose the option that has j2re1.5-sun in it.

This went smooth for me  -  Dennis