Running Ubuntu under Windows/running a Windows app under Ubuntu

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 02:24:35 UTC 2007

On 01/02/07, Chanchao <custom at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 11:31 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> > How about hardware identification?  The problem with vmware is that my Dell
> > OEM XP key isn't valid for the virtual machine.  Would virtualbox be
> > different?
>
> No. Would be the same, and they say it's expected behaviour because it
> presents a particular (and consistent) set of hardware to Windows,
> making it possible to move the file between computers having very
> different architecture. (Same as VMWare).
>
> BTW, the key will work won't it, it just won't validate when MS tries to
> impale your installation with their WGA update. :)
>
> I think if you are actually running that OEM copy just once, AND on the
> same physical computer that it shipped with, then I (*I*) think you
> should be entitled to run it, and be entitled to visit Auntie Google to
> look for a 'wga patch'. :)

Or, you could try calling MS and arguing that they should make the WGA
update available to you since you are running the operating system on
the machine for which you have the licence. The only thing they could
possibly ding you on is if you have multiple installations of the same
OS with the same key on the same computer (even if you're not running
it at the same time). Anyway, you'd have to explore your legalese.

Anyway, I've got VMserver working under Windows XP Pro. I installed
IIS and now VMserver is happy as a clam -- now Ubuntu is running (PS
Don't press ctrl-alt-delete whilst in the VM expecting to get the
Windows XP process manager... you'll kill your Ubuntu install ;-P).

Next, I'll have to see if I can get VMserver to complete the build in
Ubuntu (I tried earlier today before I left the house and it stopped
complaining that it was missing the kernel header source... need to
install them pesky headers) and then try running the VM under both
Windows XP and Ubuntu and, then try mapping a :"real" ext3fs partition
to the VM for data storage (I'm going to experiment and see just how
stable my Ubuntu VM will be... the thought of being able to back-up my
server by simply duplicating the virtual hard disk file appeals to
me).

Eric.