installing ubuntu with philips dvd rw drive

Bram Kuijper a.l.w.kuijper at rug.nl
Thu Feb 1 17:39:27 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I try to install ubuntu 6.10 (alternate cd install) on a Intel E 6400
Core 2 duo box having a Philips DVD RW drive of the type 803DW1650.

However, after the ubuntu cd has been booted and my keyboard has been
detected, the installer complains that it cannot recognize the type of
my dvd drive and that I need to load a floppy with an additional driver
for my dvd drive.

apparently, the dvd driver is too new to have any drivers associated
with it (www.linux-drivers.org even hasn't got any driver for any
Philips dvd drive).

Is there any generic driver around which is not already on the ubuntu
install cd that I could try?

cheers,
Bram