Thunderbird and reply-to-list

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 1 09:18:08 UTC 2007

Steve Lamb wrote:

> Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:
> > The obvious solution is to patch and compile TB yourself, but I can
> > understand if you don't want to do that.
>
>     Yup.  I've tried earnestly to leave such processes back in my
> Slackware days.  :)

I hear ya'. Use to do a lot more ./configure && make myself. When I
Migrated to Ubuntu I decided to knock that back to Claws, nmap, and the
development branch of GnuPG. It's tough after years and years of
compiling most everything, but I'm resisting those urges pretty well. ;)

> > Down at the bottom under "Nightly Builds". You can extract the
> > archive to a folder in your $HOME, cd there, and run
> > './thunderbird'.
>
>     I'll give that a try, thanks.  :)

Indeed. Let me know how it works out. Like I said I didn't invest a
whole lot of time in trying to solve the problem here. I don't really
use TBird, I just have it around for reference. And I knew from
experience the "manual install" was an option. Gotta love Mozilla for
that. Firefox is the same way. So is Nvu/Kompozer and most of that
"chrome" stuff. Just "unzip and go".

But mind your configs...

> > Derivative being the keyword. ;)
>
>     Well, that impression was they used the Debian packages and only
> touched it up for release, not a complete fork as appears to be the
> case.

Yeah, I think in some cases there's a little more separation than
others. But my gut feeling is more towards fork than not, regardless of
what the manual says.

> > I'd say the wisdom of applying every
> > ergonomic patch available before it's fully tested is... debatable.
> > Six one way half a dozen the other in this case I suppose, but I do
> > see the logic behind waiting as a matter of policy.
>
>     I agree with you completely.  However in my, and Debian's defense,
> Thunderbird's lack of reply-to-list is the number 1 wart discussed on
> debian-user.  Debian's lists do not set reply-to so about every 20-30
> days some new Debian user comes onto the list and starts the old
> reply-to debate.

Ahhhhh ... so that's where the Reply-To religious zealots hang out.
Never been there, most of the lists I hang out at are security and
encryption oriented, but it makes sense now.

>     No matter which side of the fence you come down on that debate
> one thing is irrefutable.  Of the email clients regularly in use by
> Debian users Thunderbird is the only client which lacks that
> feature.  It has lacked it its entire life and there are bugs filed

I agree. In fact I'm a little shocked to see it. And the idea that you
have to patch just to get an already existing plugin to work really
floors me. I was under the impression that Thunderbird was a main
stream for-the-masses email client, and here it's more of a gear head's
toy than my beloved bleeding edge version of Claws-Mail.

I may have to switch after all. <grinning>

--
     _ _      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.