Trouble with Suspend/Hibernate on notebook

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:13:39 UTC 2007

Florian Junghanns said the following on 12/30/2007 10:08 AM:
>     ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (Seems that is the thing which is making
>     trouble...)
>
>     The symptoms are:
>     I tell my notebook: Go to Suspend mode. It does immediately. But
>     waking up seems pretty difficult - it shows nothing, but is working.
>     Screen is black, without light.
>     Hibernate mode: Screen turns black, but with background light. Freeze.

I have been working to find a driver that works with my ATI X1400 as
well.  Here's my experience:

The fglrx driver for ATI video cards has broken suspend / hibernate on
gutsy.  The fix from ATI is in version 7.12, from
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Gutsy_Installation_Guide.  The
Guide works ok, but forgot to say that you have to edit
/etc/defaults/acpi-support to change POST_VIDEO=false.

With fglrx 7.12, you can suspend but not hibernate, and it only works
with Desktop Effects turned off.

The only driver to work for both suspend and hibernate is the
experimental radeonhd at http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd
It does not support 3D acceleration or Xv, so dvd's are not as sharp and
Desktop Effects do not work at all.  But, suspend and hibernate work
flawless.

HTH,