[Gutsy]Looking for a program that analyzes a file and makes a "best guess" attempt to identify or provide information

thomas fisher studio1 at commspeed.net
Sun Dec 30 04:52:28 UTC 2007

On Saturday 29 December 2007 17:41:18 NoOp wrote:
> On 12/29/2007 01:15 PM, John Toliver wrote:
> > Thanks to all for the input.  I think the 'file' command is perfect
> > for what I needed.

> > becoming intimately familiar with the 'file' command.
> >
> > Thanks again to all.
>
> I'd like to find one that works like the Windows version, whereby you
> could see the version, author/company etc.  Using 'file' doesn't give
> much info (unless I'm missing a option). For example:
>
> $ file vanGoghtest.odp
> vanGoghtest.odp: data
> [OpenOffice Impress file]
I'm not certain as to what it is that you are desiring but a couple of hints
could be:
--->  " locate " command works from the database that " updatedb " creates. I
believe it is part of the default install. I am not certain in Ubuntu how
often the updatedb runs in the background but that is open for change
or "updatedb& " can be run at any time. The " & " causes the command to be
run in the background.

---> " grep " command comes in several forms for special purposes. Can look
into the content of files. Learn the " regular expressions " and you have a
power tool at your disposal. Note: the " regular expressions "  for perl is a
little different.

---> learn about " pipes " and other command connectors in bash and the output
of one command can serve as input to another command.

---> " sort " can be really handy.

---> http://www.ss64.com/bash/    common bash commands.

---> http://lowfatlinux.com/     Quick and {relatively} easy linux. Please
remember when learning Unix / Linux that this system can play tic tac toe or
coordinate a nations phone system. Scale from a wrist watch to a 1000
processor super parallel machine.

---> http://www.tutorialized.com/view/tutorial/Ten-Neat-Tricks-With-Perl/4576
quick little no brainers using perl

--->  Really want to make your computer into a automation device that behaves
to your tailored command?
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/       HTML version Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf     PDF ver.

---> want some rocket fuel      learn basic PERL & more?
http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/perl

I know this is way beyond the initial question.

Tom