[Gutsy]Looking for a program that analyzes a file and makes a "best guess" attempt to identify or provide information

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 30 00:41:18 UTC 2007

On 12/29/2007 01:15 PM, John Toliver wrote:
> Thanks to all for the input.  I think the 'file' command is perfect
> for what I needed.
>
> I plan on adding what you all mentioned to my own personal notes(I'll
> make sure I give credit of course :-p ), because I know I'll need to
> reference this again.  The script works perfectly but I plan on
> becoming intimately familiar with the 'file' command.
>
> Thanks again to all.

I'd like to find one that works like the Windows version, whereby you
could see the version, author/company etc.  Using 'file' doesn't give
much info (unless I'm missing a option). For example:

$ file vanGoghtest.odp
vanGoghtest.odp: data
[OpenOffice Impress file]

$ file vanGoghtest2.ppt
vanGoghtest2.ppt: Microsoft Office Document
[MS Office PowerPoint file]

$ file SimpleText.odt
SimpleText.odt: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract
[OpenOffice Write file]

$ file AccessTestDatabase.odb
AccessTestDatabase.odb: data
[OpenOffice Base file)