[Gutsy]Looking for a program that analyzes a file and makes a "best guess" attempt to identify or provide information

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:20:29 UTC 2007

Em Thursday 27 December 2007 15:24:11 John Toliver escreveu:
> Does a program exist which you can call, then point to a specific
> file, and then makes an attempt at analyzing what the file is?
> Searching in synaptic reveals many very specific analyzers, primarily
> for things like log files, or packet analyzers etc.  What I would
> like, is a CLI program (no need for gui) I can script and add to my
> context menu so that when I encounter a file I don't recognize I can
> simply right click and say "analyze file", and the system will tell me
> what it can about the file.
>
> If my approach is wrong, how does one go about analyzing files when
> they don't know what they are?

It really depends on what you mean by 'analyse' the file. Do you intend to
actually screen the file content's, to discover something specific on that
file? If you only want a generic description of "file type", based on a mime
list, Corey' s suggestion (the 'file' command) should do.

If not, maybe you can be more specific on what kind of information your script
expects.

regards
FF