WEP or WPA-PSK ?

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 13:51:02 UTC 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 1:03 PM, Tim M <southern.tim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last night I was told by my know it all brother-in-law that WEP security was
> completely worst less. I am not sure I believe him but he might be correct.
> I am not sure I know how to use WPA and really don't want to mess with it
> but I also want my two computers and small server safe. So can anyone fill
> me in on the subject and whether I need to figure out how to setup WPA on my
> Netgear router and Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop?

WEP is a encryption protocol which is flawed - even with large keys
(read "long passwords") it can be relatively easily broken. WPA is
more robust algorithm and if you have the option of using it, it's
probably worthwhile.

To switch over to using WPA is router dependant but essentially it's
nothing more than selecting WPA from a drop-down box on a security
page rather than selecting WEP. Enter a new password and save the
config and reboot the router. You should now be prompted by your
laptop for a new password to connect to your router.

I believe this page should help you configure the router (it should be
obvious when you find the right page in the routers server):
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101675.asp
It's windows based but the same principle applies to any OS you're
running on your machine

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0