hiding Aache information

Nick Webb webbn at acm.org
Tue Dec 25 17:26:02 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 8:28 AM, Soo-Hyun Choi <s.choi at hackers.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running a web server with Ubuntu 7.10 + Apache 2.2.4. If I have a
> create an empty directory and access through a web page, the web pages shows
> up my Apache information along with other packages that are working with
> Apache.
>
> For example, it shows:
>  Apache/2.2.4 (Ubuntu) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.4 mod_python/3.3.1 Python/2.5.1
> PHP/5.2.3-1ubuntu6.2 mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8e Server at www.myserver.org
> Port 80
>
> But, I would like to hide these information. Is there any particular way to
> do this?
>
> Many thanks,
> Soo-Hyun

Soo-Hyun,

One way is to customize your apache error pages, see here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/custom_errordocs.html#createdir

I'd search the apache documentation, there may be a way to hide your
specific installation information with the default pages.  Many regard
removing this information as an important security step, so I wouldn't
be surprised if it's there.

Nick

PS:  Sorry if you already got a reply to this, it ended up in my spam filter.