Merry Ubuntu

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Tue Dec 25 03:03:41 UTC 2007

Lea Gris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Once uppon a time, a little penguin was born out of a kernel and
> surrounded by a shell. Legends tells there was a Gnu nearby and some
> famous wizards Stallman, Cox and his famous father Linus.
>
> Long live Linux and congratulations to the Ubuntu team who bring us the
> must user friendly distribution ever done.
>
> Bring the word: Linux is all around you, built of share, freedom and
> common sense. Be part of the Free Softwares community.

Don't forget the Woz!  I owe almost everything to him.  Indirectly though...

Thanks Lea.  You've prompted me to post this link to one of my longtime
favorite reads.

In the beginning was the command line.

http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/C_R_Y_P_T_O_N_O_M_I_C_O_N.shtml

With one exception, that is: Linux, which is right next door, and which
is not a business at all. It's a bunch of RVs, yurts, tepees, and
geodesic domes set up in a field and organized by consensus. The people
who live there are making tanks. These are not old-fashioned, cast-iron
Soviet tanks; these are more like the M1 tanks of the U.S. Army, made of
space-age materials and jammed with sophisticated technology from one
end to the other. But they are better than Army tanks. They've been
modified in such a way that they never, ever break down, are light and
maneuverable enough to use on ordinary streets, and use no more fuel
than a subcompact car. These tanks are being cranked out, on the spot,
at a terrific pace, and a vast number of them are lined up along the
edge of the road with keys in the ignition. Anyone who wants can simply
climb into one and drive it away for free.

Enjoy.

-d