[Gutsy]How do I represent a variable that will be a file name in a script?

John Toliver john.toliver at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 20:39:05 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm not very good at scripting so I'm sorry if the description isn't as
clear as it could be but I am trying to write a  nautilus script for
shredding a file.  I want to be able to right click on the file I wish to
destroy, select "scripts>shred" and the script then knows to act on this
file.  How do I represent a variable in Linux scripting?  I think it should
be the equivalent of "%1" in batchfile scripting on windows.

Second, I wish I knew how to describe this better but what does the terminal
recognize as "operators" on files.  In windows if I type: "copy
<sourcepath>\f*.exe <destinationpath\foldername>"  it will copy all files
starting with "f" that are executables to the path I specified.  what are
the equivalents of operators like "*.*", the vertical line "|" that goes
before the "more" command in windows terminal that splits output to a page
at a time, and other such commands.  First what are these things called,
secondly where can I go to read about them?

--
Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever could so
relax......it's just life !!!