wireless

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Dec 24 19:14:30 UTC 2007

donaldj at bellsouth.net wrote:
> TRYING TO CONNECT TO MY PROTECTED WIRELESS SYSTEM, USING 7.10
> I GO TO "NETWORK NAME" AND I DON'T SEE
> WERE I PUT MY NUMERIC CODE, IT JUST ASK WHAT WEP,WPA, OR WPA2 AND OF
> COURSE I'M NOT SURE.

Open a terminal and enter this command:

iwlist scanning

that will show you the available networks. For my network these are the
relevant lines:

                    ESSID:"<hidden>"
                    Encryption key:on
                    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP

Here the network name is hidden, but you should see your network name
unless your access point / router is also set to hide the network. From
the lines with "WPA2" and "TKIP" you can find out that the security
method is WPA2 personal - if you can't find out yourself what it is in
your case, please post the output for your network.

Nils