(Newbie) experience with a quicker internal RAM memory in combination with a slower mainboard?

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 14:07:43 UTC 2007

Hello everbody

After only one month of working with Kubuntu Gutsy and Linux in general
at my laptop, I do already more than 90% of my work on this delicious
open source operating system. That's why, I have decided to  install
also a Kubuntu-WinXP dual boot on my desktop PC: a "HP Pavilion t3240.nl
- Celeron D 341". I bought this PC early 2005 with a the following
internal memory: DDR II SDRAM 256 MB, DIMM 240-pins, 533 Mhz. The
mainboard has an 'Intel 910GE Express' chip and a system bus of 533 MHz
only.
For Kubuntu, I need at least 350 MB internal memory. That's why I have
been looking for models of 512 or 1024 MB, but with the same other
specifications: DDR2-SDRAM, DIMM  240 pins, 533  MHz.  So far, I have
found several DDR2-DIMM memory trays of 667 and 800Mhz with seemingly
good quality at reasonable prices. However, the 533Mhz. ones are
seemingly obsolete: they are either expensive or not available at all.
Now I come with the main question of this message:

================================================================================================================================================================
Does any body have experience with a quicker internal memory (DDR 2-DIMM
240 pins, 667 or 800 Mhz) in combination with a slower main board (533
Mhz system bus)?
================================================================================================================================================================

So far, I found one person who successfully managed to combine a quicker
internal memory with a slower main board. However, I hope to find one or
few more practical examples.

I provide you with a bit more technical info that could perhaps be
relevant in order to be able to answer my question. The RAM memory
capacity can sbe expended until maximally 2024 MB. 4 DIMM 24O pins
memory trays can be inserted - probably 512 MB each. There are two hard
disks: one of 80 GB, another one of 160 GB. The originally pre-installed
WINXP home edition has been replaced later by WINXP 'professional'.
However, my sucking windows experiences are not 'professional' at all
:-( .....

If the technical info in this message is enough for you - lovely!
However, if you need a bit more info beside from what I have mentioned
here, you can find it via two specific parts of the HP website:

Overview:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=se&dlc=sv&product=1148443&lang=sv&

Several details:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00379292&lc=en&cc=se&dlc=sv&product=1148443&lang=sv

Have a good Winter Solstice / Christmas time!

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus
E.:  BasRoufs at gmail.com