how many partitions/os can I put on 1 hdd

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Dec 24 08:50:58 UTC 2007

anthony baldwin wrote:
> Is there a limit to the number of partitions and OSs
> I can put on one hdd (beyond space limitations, of course)?

There are 4 primary partitions. One of them can be an entry for an
extended partition. Linux can handle (I think - but I can't find a
reference) 63 logical partitions within the secondary partition. That
makes 66 partitions overall.

> It would be one more entry to the grub menu...

Maybe there is a Grub limit - at least the Grub menu at startup would be a
lot to read if you would use up all of the possible partitions :)

> Does my thinking out loud on the list annoy people?

There are worse things - and everybody is annoyed by different things :)

Nils