Sendmail...

thomas fisher studio1 at commspeed.net
Sun Dec 23 19:33:41 UTC 2007

On Sunday 23 December 2007 06:42:46 Paul wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007 11:30 PM, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> > Paul wrote:
> > > Great thanks.
> > >
> > > Is it enough to simply type
> > >
> > > sudo hostname whatever.dyndns.com <http://whatever.dyndns.com>
> > >
> > > or is there more of a process?
> >
> > it has been a while since I used sendmail but your configuration file
> > should
> > have a hostname in it.  change that and not your machine hostname
>
> This is what's bugging me, though.  sendmail worked right out of the box.
> I installed it and it worked.
>
> Reading pages out there I was prepared for an epic battle.  It seems to be
> thought that getting sendmail to work is an exercise in frustration, but it
> wasn't.
>
> If I know Linux I know that if it ain't broke you still may need to fix it.
>
> Anyway, I did change my machine's hostname (before reading) your post.
> What, exactly, does it matter?

One of the problems is discerning what Linux documentation pertains. Remember
Linux came out of the absolute shadows of obscurity. The sophistication's we
get on todays workstation was only a dream four or five years ago. Also
remember there are tiny versions of Linux operating in cell phones and
etcetera where the available resources must be used very wisely and there is
no room for genies and wizards. Additionally there are users still running
older 486 machines with small disk and memory. Part of the beauty of it.
Tom