I do not understand this difference

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Dec 23 18:02:57 UTC 2007

Martin Marcher wrote:
> On 12/21/07, Alain Muls <alain.muls at telenet.be> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got a Toshiba Laptop and a docking station.
>>
>> Using multiple partitione I installed ubuntu and kubuntu.
>
> you are aware of the fact installing kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop,
> ubuntu-desktop makes you have a full [xk]ubuntu install without having
> to waste multiple partitions to effectively the same OS?
>
> personally I'd install kubuntu-desktop (in your case) inside the
> partition that works right now (where you originally installed ubuntu)
> and then you can switch via your login manager wether you want a kde
> or gnome desktop. No rebooting necessary no 2 users. Then I'd wipe the
> unneeded install and make regain the space YMMV.

This is my own usual practice and yes there is no need to install into
different partitions. I have recently changed my video card to be able
to use compiz. However, the restricted driver did not seem to be
accepted in kubuntu (7.10) so I used a ubuntu (gnome) session, and for
whatever reason it was accepted ok. I also have found it easy to get
the cube stuff working in gnome, but still have not been able to get
kubuntu using it, even though they are both in the same partition. I
conclude there is something that does not quite work ok for kubuntu (yet?)
--
ac