Can't mount /dev/hda3, now I'm '/home'less!

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Thu Dec 20 22:53:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 22:53 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Michael R. Head wrote:
> > But even if that were the case, I _should_ be able to mount the drive
> > manually, right?
>
> No, not necessarily. The error message said it is already mounted.
> Therefore the mount command refuses to mount the drive "again".

Except that it's not actually mounted (according to the kernel)!

Also, I have now commented /home out of /etc/fstab, rebooted, and I
still cannot mount /dev/hda3 anywhere.

burner at firestorm:/$ grep hda /proc/mounts
burner at firestorm:/$ grep home /proc/mounts
burner at firestorm:/$ sudo umount /home
umount: /home: not mounted
burner at firestorm:/$ sudo umount /dev/hda3
umount: /dev/hda3: not mounted
burner at firestorm:/$ sudo mount /dev/hda3 /home
mount: /dev/hda3 already mounted or /home busy
burner at firestorm:/$ sudo mkdir /tmp/hda3
burner at firestorm:/$ sudo mount /dev/hda3 /tmp/hda3
mount: /dev/hda3 already mounted or /tmp/hda3 busy

I'm still in WTF mode here...

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding