swap space

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Dec 20 16:50:40 UTC 2007

Shane McKinley wrote:

> Ekk, I didn't know people still used that. Always seemed flaky to me.

Huh?  Many people use it, and it's not flaky.  I virtually _never_ reboot.
With <20 seconds to restart a suspended disk image and at least a minute to
get from boot to a KDE session with the same apps open it's a no-brainer.

> On Dec 19, 2007 11:32 AM, Guillaume <silencer at free-4ever.net> wrote:
>
>> Shane McKinley a écrit :
>> > I am no expert on swap, but since it is just for temporary storage
>> > (like RAMDISK) and there should be no problem with this concept.
>> >
>> I'm not sure...
>>
>> If you use suspend to disk on one of the linux, when you suspend, it
>> will write all the RAM to the swap for the next boot...

It does far more than that.

>> And if you start another linux on your computer.... it may clean up the
>> swap.... so you will lose all information....

What information?  All of your drives are synced, so you don't lose any of
that.  Network interfaces are actually torn right down.  Anything else that
might be problematic can be added to a list of services or modules to be
stopped and started.
--
derek