shell, linux console, terminal, what's the difference?

Martin Marcher martin at marcher.name
Wed Dec 19 09:21:59 UTC 2007

On 12/19/07, James Macele Jones <macele.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have I been mistaken, is there some difference between them?

Formal explanations have been (more or less) given. What they usually mean is:

shell:
* some command line interpreter that is run inside a terminal or console

terminal:
* today usually a terminal emulator like xterm, gnome-terminal,
konsole, earlier a term was connected to the "main" computer (to keep
terms simple) and as such just a frontend. If you don't understand,
don't worry those who work with this know what I meant :)

console (linux console):
* the thing you see when you hit strg+alt+f1, usually there are 6 of
them (F1 thru F6) and Xorg is on F7

None of them have features the other has not. Iff you use the same
shell in all of them.

In essence if someone tells you to open any of the three they mean the
character user interface - heck just open a term. (which just
introduced 2 new maybe even more confusing terms - as in terminology
:)

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours