shell, linux console, terminal, what's the difference?

Shane McKinley mckinleysh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 01:54:26 UTC 2007

A shell is how you interact with the Linux kernel. Different shells act
different ways. There are several different shells, bash being the most
common.

To see the different shells on your Linux installation type:

*cat /etc/shells

*A terminal can mean many different things, but I think you are referring to
the way you can access the shell through the X server through a window
manager. I think you are safe to think of a console and the terminal as the
same thing.

-Shane
hackosis.com