CD-RW changes all to root

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Dec 17 17:55:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:58:48 -0400
Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Peter Garrett wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:57:01 -0800
> > NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Fixed - it's now installed. Found the fix from:
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrkit/+bug/135254
> >>
> >> and used:
> >> $ sudo xcdroast -f /dev/cdrw
> >
> > I'm puzzled - why are you running a cd burner as root ? (sudo)
> >
> > I use wodim here, and never need to run it as root. The binary is not even
> > setuid :
>
> Well, if it's anything like k3b (and it probably is as they mostly use the
> same low level tools), there are conflicting instructions about how to run
> it.  You shouldn't need to run as root, but there are lots of pages on the
> web saying you must.

IIRC K3b only requires root for the initial setup.

Also, again IIRC, cdrecord used to be setuid root - wodim apparently is
not. When I use k3b (infrequently), I certainly never need to run it as
root, FWIW

$ ll `which cdrecord`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2007-11-14 19:56 /usr/bin/cdrecord -> wodim

Heh, I seem to have picked up bad habits with abbreviations  and
emoticons ;-)

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net