Stupidity

James Gray james.gray at dot.com.au
Mon Dec 17 03:12:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:53:17 pm Jason Mocanu wrote:
> Here's a stupid question/issue for you! I haven't used my Ubuntu
> laptop in a couple of months and I've forgotten my password! Any
> ideas on how to get in and change it?

1. Boot into "rescue" mode (I think that's what they call it) and simply
run "passwd".  IIRC, rescue mode doesn't require your password.

2. Live CD.  Boot into a live CD, mount your root partition, use "chroot" to
create a "real" environment, then use "passwd" to change your password.
Reboot as normal (without the Live CD) and login with your new password.

3. Ye olde "init=/bin/bash" trick.  JFGI

Cheers,

James
--
[It is] best to confuse only one issue at a time.
                -- K&R