Blojsom Install Problem

Lee Tambiah leetambiah at ossgeeks.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 22:33:49 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am new to Blojsom and would like to set up a development environment
on my local machine.However I seem to be having difficulty installing
Blojsom. I have
included the steps I did for the installation(*note this is on
Ubuntu Gutsy.

1. First I set up the Java Environment using the java 1.5. See
following steps for setting up Java Environment:-

sudo apt-get install sun-java5-jdk sun-java5-plugin
sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-1.5.0-sun
I then added "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun" line to the top of /etc/jvm file

To test all was fine with the Java Environment I then issued "java
-version" and the usual was printed to the teminal:

"java version "1.5.0_13"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-b05, mixed mode, sharing)"

2. Now for MySQL:-

sudo apt-get install mysql-server

I then created a user, and a new database called blojsom and gave the
user all rights to the database blojsom, basically the same as
http://wiki.blojsom.com/wiki/display/blojsom3/Tomcat+Setup+for+MySQL,
and tested user could log in and see database.

3. Downloaded Tomcat 5.0.28

Unzipped the Tomcat to my /home/user directory.

Changed the Tomcat server.xml file to include the URIEncoding="UTF-8".

Added JAVA_HOME to .bashrc:-

  export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
  export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

Downloaded the MYSQL JDBC Driver "mysql-connector-java-3.1.14" package
and placed the .jar into Tomcats common/lib directory.

4. Deploying Blojsom 3.2

Did the same as "Setup blojsom" @
http://wiki.blojsom.com/wiki/display/blojsom3/Tomcat+Setup+for+MySQL

Added MYSQL user name and password that has access to blojsom in the
"blojsom-helper-beans-include.xml"

5. Attempting to Run

Started tomcat with ./startup.sh

Browsed to http://localhost:8080, and all is fine. Web apps included
with tomcat appear to be functioning.

Through the tomcat manager I see the Blojsom application link. When I
click the link I am then direct to go to
http://localhost:8080/blojsom/blog/default. When I do I then see a
HTTP Status 500 screen with the following errors which you can see at
pastebin:-

http://pastebin.com/m4e1ff4a

Whats is wrong here any pointers would be appreciated, I've ran out of
ideas. Is there anyone out there running Blojsom on there local
machines successfully, if so please get in touch.

Regards

L. Tambiah (flossgeek)